Arthritis stands for inflammation of a joint (arthro-, joint + -itis, inflammation from Greek). There are different forms of arthritis; the most common one being osteoarthritis (degenerative joint disease). Some of the other forms are autoimmune ( in which the body attacks itself) like rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis. Septic arthritis is a form of joint infection whereas Gouty arthritis is caused by deposition of uric acid crystals in the joint, causing inflammation. Pseudogout, an uncommon form, is caused by the formation of rhomboid crystals of calcium pyrophosphate. According to Ayurveda, this is a windy (Vata) disease. In Vedic Astrology, Saturn is the main planet causing this windy disease that has gradual growth. We list here some planetary combinations for arthritis.
- Saturn in the 8th house.
- Mars and Saturn jointly related to the Ascendant.
- The Sun in the 10th degree of Libra.
- The Moon in the 6th house.
- Saturn strength unfavorable and is in unfavorable houses,
- Mars in the 4th house.
- Jupiter in the Ascendant and Saturn in the 7th house.
- Mars in the 5th, the 7th or the 9th as Saturn is in the Ascendant.
- Venus in the 8th house in aspect to a malefic.
- Venus and Mars in the 12th house.
- Saturn aspecting powerfully the Ascendant or the Moon,
- Lord of the Ascendant or that of the 6th conjunct Rahu.
- Combustion to the Moon in association with Rahu.
It is essential to evaluate the strength of Saturn in the Vedic Horoscope to assess the level of arthritic suffering.